In Which Cases Do Foreign Students Need a Credential Evaluation?

Posted on December 22, 2022 By Mathew Berg

Our current atmosphere of globalization has sparked educational and career opportunities everywhere. Gone are the days when you had to stay in your own country and choose the best possible institute to pursue higher studies. This often required students to give up on their field of choice and instead pick a college department that was easily available.

Fortunately, the world has opened up quite a bit since those days, and students now have the chance to seek out the best universities for their chosen fields. You can go anywhere across the world to study what you love and seek out better opportunities for career success. Institutes are accepting international students on a global level and welcoming them for their merit, talent, skills, and drive for success.

However, before you book your flights, there's something you need to get done. International students need foreign diploma evaluation reports before they can start applying to schools in the United States. Today we will discuss the what and why of credential evaluations, along with learning about the best time to apply for them. Let's get started!

What Are Credential Evaluations?

Before we dive into the requirements for credential evaluations and the different types there are, it is important to first understand what these reports mean. Credential evaluation reports are documents that serve as the US equivalent of your academic endeavors that have been accomplished locally. It is a way for your home country's education to be compared to its US version so that universities can judge you based on your merit and achievements.

Here you can find more about what is credential evaluation?

The main benefit of credential evaluations is that it allows universities to judge and evaluate foreign students on the same level as domestic students and send out acceptance letters accordingly. It allows for a smooth educational transition of international students that is based on an effectively-formulated and ethical procedure.

Types of Credential Evaluations

There are many different types of credential evaluations that foreign students can benefit from. Below, we have summarized the different types and mentioned their requirements to make it easier for you to choose the right one.

For High School Placement

If you’re a middle or high school student interested in gaining admission to a US-based high school, you will need this type of credential evaluation. It allows a smooth transfer to secondary school in the US, and students can easily complete their high school diploma once they have this report.

You will need to submit scanned copies of your original transcript in your native language, along with an official English translation of the transcript or mark sheet. You can also request a course-by-course evaluation with relevant GPAs if needed by the educational institute.

For Higher Education

If you plan to continue your higher education in the US, you should reach out to the best credential evaluation service provider , as it can greatly increase your chances of getting selected. The evaluation report for higher education is a must if you’ve finished high school in a different country and wish to get enrolled in a US-based college or university.

You will need to send the evaluation service agency scanned copies of your original degree or diploma, along with the original transcript in your native language and its subsequent translations. If you’re applying for a Ph.D. program, you will also need to send in a scanned copy of your thesis.

When Do Foreign Students Need Credential Evaluations

When you need credential evaluation reports depends largely on the college or university you plan to apply to. The best way to determine whether you need an evaluation report or not is by looking up the admission requirements of the respective institute. Most institutes make these requirements easy to find and understand, so you can determine whether to apply for the report or not. It is likely to be listed with other admission requirements for international students.

In general, international students who have studied in American high schools across the world don't require these reports. However, if you've completed your middle or high school education in an institute particular to your country, then you will need the report while applying to American universities.

When to Apply

The best time to apply for credential evaluation reports is ASAP. Most students tend to wait until admissions open before they get these documents sorted, but it can be a recipe for disaster that sets you back for a semester. Most universities only accept international students within a limited time period. So, your best chance of successful application to a US university is to have your credential evaluations report ready beforehand.

That being said, if you don't manage to get the report sorted out in time, do reach out to the university. Many colleges and universities accept evaluation reports at a later time, even if they aren't submitted with the application.

Start Now



Educational Records Evaluation Service helps Non-US educated individuals to receive their US equivalences with our credential evaluation reports.

Contact us

Tue - Fri: 10:00 to 16:00 ( PST )

4773 Mangels Blvd, Fairfield, CA 94534, USA.

© 2024 Educational Records Evaluation Service. All rights reserved.

|Privacy Policy |Cookie Policy | |Terms and Conditions